Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Woe to the bloody city...

Woe to the bloody city!
It is all full of lies and robbery.
Its victim never departs.
The noise of a whip and the noise of rattling wheels,
of galloping horses, of clattering chariots!
Horsemen charge with bright sword and glittering spear.
There is a multitude of slain, a great number of bodies,
countless corpses; they stumble over the corpses;
because of the multitude of harlotries of the seductive harlot,
the mistress of sorceries, who sells nations through her harlotries,
and families through her sorceries.
-Nahum 3:1-4

Here are a few of the historical records of Nineveh's violent actions, listed on thier monuments of war:

-“I cut off their heads and formed them into pillars”
-“Bubo, son of Buba, I flayed in the city of Arbela and I spread his skin upon the city wall”
-“I flayed all the chief men who had revolted, and I covered the pillar with their skins”
-“Many within the border of my own land I flayed, and spread their skins upon the walls”
-“I cut off the limbs of the officers, the royal officers who had rebelled”
-“3,000 captives I burned with fire”
-“Their corpses I formed into pillars”
-“From son I cut off their hands and their fingers, and from other I cut off their noses, their ears, and their fingers, of many I put out their eyes”
-“I made one pillar of the living, and another of heads, I bound their heads to posts round about the city”

Woe to the bloody city...I ain't heard that preached much.

No comments: